As a Masters of Urban and Regional Planning Student at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs, I learn about local economic development initiatives and best practices. My internship with the City of Golden Valley was a wonderful opportunity to utilize this practical knowledge and broaden my horizons to see the wide range of activities that are related to economic development. I helped the City create a business database, attended meetings with local businesses, created an economic development report for the City, and began the process of updating the Economic Competitiveness Chapter of the Comprehensive Plan. I was able to meet professionals and local entrepreneurs at Economic Gardening meetings, and learned about opportunities for small businesses. I am excited to use the skills I gained through this internship experience to continue my career in planning and economic development in the Twin Cities.
Chloe’s projects included the following:
* Began working on the Economic Competitiveness Chapter of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. This included researching Metropolitan Council requirements, updating demographic information, drafting outreach strategies, and drafting a narrative that will introduce the goals and policies set forth in the chapter.
* Researched comprehensive plans in similar cities and previous City plans to create draft goals for the Golden Valley 2040 Comprehensive Plan. Assisted in planning a kickoff event to receive feedback from residents about potential goals for the Plan.
* Conducted research on effective outreach strategies for the Comprehensive Plan update.
* Wrote a quarterly economic development report analyzing economic indicators such as development activity, vacant buildings, housing prices, and job growth. This was completed by utilizing GIS, MN Compass data, and Minnesota Association of Realtors data.
* Compiled a comprehensive list of housing units in the City for an economic development report.
* Updated the City’s business directory and included personal contacts at local businesses.
* Created a list of vacant industrial and commercial properties in the City and described the building’s features.
* Visited local businesses and corporate headquarters in the City to create lasting relationships with companies.
* Met with businesses considering relocating to Golden Valley to discuss their unique needs and how the City could assist them.
* Attended Economic Gardening meetings with Hennepin County to see the broad impacts of economic development and to meet local entrepreneurs.